Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Prowler Rebuild

My brother, The Keeper of the Mountain, has made progress on his Prowler. He didn't provide much in the way of explanation, but he did send pictures.

Picture #1 suggests to me he took the oportunity to redo the wiring and look over the brakes and bearings. There is no better time to do this than when you have a bare frame.


Picture #2 appear to indicate he is laying down treated 2x4s to provide a base to work on. The sheeting is probably a moister wrap of some kind.

Picture #3 is the actual floor framing. It looks like 2x6s with 5+1/2 inch fiberglass insulation. The 2x6s should be what actually carries and spreads the weight stress of the structure. The insulation is about 3 times what you usually find in trailers. He is currently a bout 300 miles from me in a very mild climate, but if he ends up near me, he's going to benifit from this increased insulation a lot.

Picture #4 is the subflooring. The gray stuff appears to be glue. My experiences would make me not want anything to do with OSB, but it might be OK here.

Picture #5 is the wall framing. These appear to be 2x4s. I have another brother who is involved in some repair remolding of some buildings made about 10 or 20 years ago. He says OSB should be illegal. I agree. I have great reservation about seeing this stuff being used structurally like this. If he does a flawless job of keeping it dry, he may be OK though. I'm sticking by my ridiculous theory that he will end up regretting this stuff at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment