Friday, July 24, 2009

Your House and Living Successfully: Part 4/4

Choosing Your House for Living Successfully:

Whether your income is of the Nomad Model or the Farmer Model, you can still build your own house and get something better than you can buy for the same price.

My brother, The Keeper of the Mountain, has built something that is very close to the ideal Nomad's house. Unlike the standard trailers you get, he has built it with the top of the line stuff. It is built to be lived in for an extended period of time, not just camped in for a few days of the year for a few years. Inside an hour, he could pack things so the don't fall about, hook it up to a truck and drive just about anywhere he needs to and would have his whole house and everything he owns right there with him. With less than 300 square feet, it will be cheap to heat or cool even with only R-13 insulation and harsh temperatures. Considering how close I came to doing more or less the same thing, I can't say the Idea is a bad one. My Idea involved a motor home optimized for my use and a small car I could tow behind it. The only issue I have with his house is I see a structure that will not tolerate extensive moving. I have seen sturdily built wooden framed constructs built on trucks and trailers, and I have seen them fail under the shaking, rocking, and torquing that they suffer while being moved. While the building was built well, I do not see holding up to a nomadic lifestyle because the wood itself will not tolerate the constant stress on the joints of the frame.

The house I am building is very much a Farmer Model house. It will probably end up weighing a hundred tons. It will be labor expensive and very immobile. This means I need a Farmer Model income. I have had the Idea of starting my own business for some time, and have been considering it more strongly since I became unemployed back in January, but now that I have been unemployed for 6 full months and have turned in over 75 resumes without a peep in response, I have gone and gotten my business license. Already I have jobs lined up. My home territory is probably limited to about 150 miles at this point, but with a job taking most of a week, I can see getting to the point where a home range of hundreds of mile could be justified with the proper equipment.

End.

No comments:

Post a Comment