Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Attack by Fire!

Some messes are big enough to justify an attack by fire. This used to be a camper. I stuck a chain through the camper and tried to drag it. I came apart instead.



I took the splitting maul to it to break it into small enough pieces to move. I ended up smearing the head with aluminum and breaking the handle. Fortunately the axe and hoe was enough to complete the job. Somehow the ceramic figurines concealed within the camper survived this.



With a little used motor oil and a propane torch, it lit quite well. I threw all of the camper parts onto the fire including the "non-flammable" parts.



It burned enthusiastically. I should take a moment to say something about fire being dangerous and you shouldn't do this at home and I'm a trained professional. Truth is I'm not a professional fire handler. I've just grown up with fire as a tool since I was born and have been playing with fire since I was 8. I've never had a fire I started escape me. My whole family has this reputation of with fire. Some of my early memories are of wood stoves that had to have their lids held down to keep the fire raging within from popping the lid off and escaping. Our wood stoves frequently glowed red hot. This long experience of using fire has honed our families skills so it's quite unusual for us to ever loose control of one of our fires.



Don't let anyone tell you Aluminum doesn't burn. The glass from the windows melted as well.



After about 3 hours the fire reduced to coals and burned for another 7 hours.This relatively small pile is all that remains of the camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment