Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Roof Patching

Wafer Board, OSB, Oriented Strand Board; whatever you call this stuff, it's junk. There is a whole row of nails I put in this roof that just pulled themselves out of the OSB. This has contributed to the roof leaks the bedroom addition I built and I plan to move into about May 1.


The composite roofing I put up has plenty of it's own sins.In this case the material pulled the nail heads right through itself and then the wind pealed it up.

The old chimney blew apart in the wind and now lets in water as well.

I went down to the local Habitat for Humanity surplus yard and bought a damaged can of roof coating for $23. I chose a light colored variety for a reason. Once June shows up around here, it starts getting very hot. Light colored stuff will reflect the suns heat better. The solids in this can have settled to the bottom. I spent half an hour mixing this can and I still didn't get it mixed completely. The instructions say to use a broom to apply it, so I got our old broom out and used it like a giant paint brush. This worked quite well.


The first thing I did is spread it on the bare OSB and lay the roofing back down and walk on it. The Idea here is to glue it down I think I should have spread it on the underside of the roofing too, but I didn't. I'll have to see how it worked out in a couple of days.


I started a little ways up the cabin roof and worked down.


I figure I covered about 1/3 of the roof with the 5 gallon can I got. I think I will get 3 more cans. Two to finish the roof, and one for patching.


This stuff is very messy. I'm glad I opened the can on the roof.


It will cost me more to clean this broom than it will to just buy a cheap broom for the rest of the roof. I will also buy some disposable gloves as it doesn't come off the hands willingly.


I'm sure that any roofers in my audience will see something wrong with what I am doing. While I encourage you to tell me what I'm doing wrong, keep in mind I want to be tearing this down next year at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment