Sunday, April 12, 2009

Usefull Devices and Roof Patching

This wooden ladder was made from slab wood bought from a local mill.It's safer than most ladders because it has the hand rails that extend above the roof. It I attached it to the eve it would be even safer. If you build one, use screws to put the rungs on it. Even if you plan to only use it for one month, useful devices have this habit of sticking around a lot longer than intended, because, well, they're useful. This ladder is probably over 10 years old. The nails in the bottom rung pulled out on me, so I put screws in all of the rungs today.
I put the aluminum roofing material upside down and flipped it over several times while I worked with the lap cement. It does not seemed to have helped much with the mixing. It also leaked.

I took the lid to one of the empty roofing compound cans and glued it over the chimney hole with lap cement.
I found that I got better results in spreading the lap cement on the upper problem spots with the 4 foot mixing stick than with the trowel. Once I got to the lower areas, the trowel worked better. If this doesn't stop the leak, then I will be looking to manage the leak rather than stop it.

I troweled on the can of aluminum tone roofing compound. I barely got done and it started raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment